May 18, 2022 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - FC Cincinnati News Release
The FC Cincinnati Academy sent the Orange and Blue's U15, U17 and U19 squads to Boyds, Maryland for MLS NEXT Flex. The competition featured 64 MLS NEXT clubs, with 16 teams per age division, to secure the final spots for the 2022 MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs beginning June 25 in Frisco, Texas.
Each of the three FC Cincinnati Academy squads went to Maryland and secured a spot in the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs by winning their respective four-club groups.
A look at how each squad won their group:
FC Cincinnati U15 Squad - Group I Winners
1. FC Cincinnati - 9 Points (3-0-0, 6 GF, 2 GA)
2. D.C. United - 4 Points (1-1-1, 5 GF, 5 GA)
3. Chula Vista FC - 3 Points (1-2-0, 6 GF, 6 GA)
4. Toronto FC - 2 Points (0-2-1, 2 GF, 6 GA)
Sat., May 14 vs. Toronto FC: W 2-0
Goals - JP Piedra (PK), JP Piedra (Sam Weeter)
Shutout - Cooper Wiseman
Sun., May 15 vs. Chula Vista FC: W 2-1
Goals - Nico Burns (Gianluca Fussillo), David Do (Sam Weeter)
Tue., May 17 vs. D.C. United: W 2-1
Goals - Sam Weeter, Sam Weeter (Ethan Schwartzfisher)
FC Cincinnati U17 Squad - Group E Winners
1. FC Cincinnati - 6 Points (2-1-0, 10 GF, 2 GA)
2. Tampa Bay United - 6 Points (2-1-0, 6 GF, 6 GA)
3. New England Revolution - 4 Points (1-1-1, 5 GF, 6 GA)
4. Ballistic United - 2 Points (0-2-1, 3 GF, 10 GA)
Sat., May 14 vs. New England Revolution: L 1-2
Goal - Isaac Calderon
Sun., May 15 vs. Tampa Bay United: W 4-0
Goals - Ryder Mills (2), Jio Gabriel Mora, Nick McHenry
Shutout - Zach Kacic
Tue., May 17 vs. Ballistic United: W 5-0
Goals - Ryder Mills (3); Jio Gabriel Mora; Isaac Calderon
Shutout - Austin Wells
FC Cincinnati U19 Squad - Group H Winners
1. FC Cincinnati - 8 Points (2-0-1, 4 GF, 2 GA)
2. Toronto FC - 6 Points (1-0-2, 6 GF, 5 GA)
3. Silicon Valley SA - 3 Points (1-2-0, 4 GF, 5 GA)
4. Sporting Kansas City - 1 Point (0-2-1, 4 GF, 6 GA)
Fri., May 13 vs. Toronto FC: T 1-1 (Win 4-3 on penalties)
Goal - Josh Head (PK)
Penalties: Goals - Leo Vazquez, Kimball Jackson, Darrell Turcios, Daniel Samways
Jack Moxom - Two Penalty Saves
Sat., May 14 vs. Silicon Valley SC: W 1-0
Goal - Josh Head
Shutout - Jack Moxom
Mon., May 16 vs. Sporting Kansas City: W 2-1
Goals - Nicky Samways, Danny Samways
The FC Cincinnati Academy will send the U15, U17 and U19 squads to the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs. The 2021-22 MLS NEXT season culminates with the playoffs, which will occur at Toyota Soccer Center in Frisco, Texas from June 25 to July 3. That event will feature the top 128 teams in the program, breaking down as 32 from each age group.
This weekend upcoming, the U13 and U14 Young Garys travel to face Sockers FC in Greater Chicago.
Sunday, May 22
U13 at Sockers FC - 12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT
U14 at Sockers FC - 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT
MLS NEXT, introduced in 2020, provides the best player development experience in North America. Founded on a collaborative approach to governance and a commitment to innovation, MLS NEXT players have access to the highest levels of competition and to training and personal development opportunities that will prepare them for their futures, both in soccer and in life.
For the latest information on the FC Cincinnati Academy, follow the program on Twitter @FCCincyAcademy and visit the academy's website at fccincinnati.com/academy.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Check out the FC Cincinnati Statistics
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
- Ronny Reaction: "Today We Showed How to Win Away." - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC Battle New York Red Bulls to 3-3 Draw at Red Bull Arena - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Earns Point on the Road against Philadelphia Union - Inter Miami CF
- Blake Earns Fifth Clean Sheet of the Season; Union Remain Undefeated at Subaru Park This Season - Philadelphia Union
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Draw Chicago Fire FC, 3-3, at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- NYCFC Blanks D.C. United - New York City FC
- D.C. United Acquire Loudoun United Defender Sami Guediri on Loan - D.C. United
- Timbers Take on San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park Tonight - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Players Nanu and Szabolcs Schön Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Faces Houston Dynamo FC Tonight in Midweek Matchup at PNC Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Host Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Charlotte FC to Host Chelsea FC at Bank of America Stadium on July 20 - Charlotte FC
- Injury Report: Two out for D.C. - New York City FC
- Toyota Stadium to Host LA INVASION Tour Headlined by Banda El Recodo and Gerardo Ortiz - FC Dallas
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: May 18, 2022 - New England Revolution
- - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Academy Roundup: MLS NEXT Flex - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.