Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (2022)

✚ New Topic✚ Reply

❬ ❬ Previous Thread|Next Thread ❭ ❭

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (1)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 6/19/2014 6:54 PM (GMT -7)

I have had shoulder pain on and off since a mva in 2012. X-rays are all normal so routinely the orders are to rest and take Advil as needed. In the last two weeks the pain in my right shoulder is getting worse with no relief. The pain is going into my collar bone, through to my shoulder blade, and in my arm pit.

My shoulder feels exhausted just from taking a shower and fixing my hair. It is painful to rotate my shoulder backward, reach my hand behind my back or even to reach into my pant pocket. It has begun to hurt at night (I'm a tummy sleeper so my arm is above my head) and is painful just hanging down by my side.

I had another set of complete X-rays done today, and again x-ray's are normal. I can not get into the ortho until the 2nd week in July. I am not wanting another cortisone shot (I've had 3 in my left shoulder, 1in my knee, 3 in my low back, 1in my hip) and that is what I am afraid is going to happen. They help for a very brief amount of time and sometimes even make it worse.

I don't feel like they take the pain seriously because of the normal diagnostic test. Is it just tendinitis or is there more? I would to like hear from anyone who may have experienced or are experiencing the same.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (2)

jujub

Elite Member

Joined : Mar 2003

Posts : 10422

Posted 6/19/2014 7:11 PM (GMT -7)

Three cortisone shots is the max most orthos will give in a joint because of the damage it can do to ligaments. Have you had an MRI of your shoulder? That would be much better at visualizing soft tissue and even cartilage injuries. Ask the ortho about this when you see him or her.

I've had two shoulder surgeries for old injuries from an MVA, and I feel your pain.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (3)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 6/19/2014 7:57 PM (GMT -7)

Judy2

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not had an MRI. I am hoping that is what we will do next. The injections were in my left shoulder and this injury is in my right so that is why I'm worried about the doctor just shrugging me off and just giving another shot.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (4)

Abilene

Veteran Member

Joined : Apr 2014

Posts : 986

Posted 6/19/2014 8:03 PM (GMT -7)

Hoping the dr will agree to an MRI, the sooner the better. Sorry for your pain.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (5)

(Video) X-ray for shoulder pain? The truth about what x-rays and MRI's DON'T tell you

straydog

Forum Moderator

Joined : Feb 2003

Posts : 18950

Posted 6/19/2014 8:04 PM (GMT -7)

Hello KeyWest & welcome to the forum. So sorry to read what you are having to put up from that shoulder.

Regular xrays just do not show much unless you had a fracture or a break so with them being normal that is pretty much expected. What I would suggest is to ask your PCP to order an MRI of your shoulder & even your neck. If there is something going on with either it should show up on an MRI as they are far more definitive than regular xrays. If he will agree to doing this it will really be helpful for the specialist in July.

Also, neck problems can cause shoulder & arm problems & the person not have any neck pain. This happened to my son, he was ready to cut his arm off because it was so painful. He was shocked when they got the results back of the MRI of his neck, he had a pinched nerve. So, knowing how this can all possibly happen, you really need MRI's on both areas. This will also help the specialist when you see him because he would order these very same tests.

Good luck & hang in there.

Posted 6/20/2014 6:09 AM (GMT -7)

Soft tissue problems rarely show up in xrays. There could be many reasons for the shoulder pain, neck being one of them. If you can, see a shoulder specialist. There are simple clinical tests they can do to narrow down the possibilities of what may be wrong - rotator cuff tear, instability, etc. Then, an MRI can be done to get a better idea. Good luck!

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (7)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 6/20/2014 6:37 AM (GMT -7)

I have an appointment 6/26 with s shoulder specialist/sports medicine doctor. Thanks for all the feedback.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (8)

sjkly

Veteran Member

Joined : Dec 2007

Posts : 2113

Posted 6/20/2014 10:59 AM (GMT -7)

Have you had an EMG? Is there some nerve impingement-this would also not show on xray.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (9)

Alcie

Veteran Member

Joined : Oct 2009

Posts : 5169

Posted 6/20/2014 2:51 PM (GMT -7)

There are several places to give the shoulder shot, and they can be diagnostic. I had 3 in my left shoulder that didn't help, then my orthopod did another in the back of the shoulder in a spot he called "for arthritis." That one gave me relief.

Yes, you aren't supposed to have more than 3 injections in the same place in a year. But it's not completely contraindicated. If you're going to a really good orthopod he can decide if it's worth it.

I'm glad to have gotten the shot because I'm not in good enough shape to have another surgery right now. My ortho said he can go in and "clean out" the shoulder, MRI shows junk loose.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (10)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

(Video) My MRI and X-ray were normal, so what is causing my pain? The answer is often seen in motion imaging

Posted 6/24/2014 6:02 PM (GMT -7)

Sjkly I have not had an emg. All I have had so far are X-rays. I'm really hoping to get some relief 6/26. The pain is now constant and more intense. I can not reach behind my back at all now without immense pain. It brings me to tears to wipe myself after using the bathroom (TMI I know, but just trying to explain how painful it has become).

I feel like I've done something to it in the last few days because it even looks swollen and as if there is slight bruising on the front side of my shoulder.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (11)

nvrthesame98

Veteran Member

Joined : Jun 2008

Posts : 6706

Posted 6/24/2014 6:39 PM (GMT -7)

Keywest I would call them and let them know the pain and mobility has become worse and maybe they can do something for you sooner.

Posted 6/26/2014 5:59 PM (GMT -7)

Went to ortho today. He said the rotator cuff was strong but I had bicep tenderness and inflamation. He felt like if anything I may have a bicep rear. He gave me a cortisone shot, which I did not really want due to some recent research on my part, and said if not better in a week to call the office to schedule a MRI.

I am now in incredible pain. I can barely us right arm. I am laying I in bed typing this post on my iPad near tears. If I hold my arm straight down or in any position other than bent and laid across my stomach the pain scale shoots from a 5 to a beyond 10. I have not felt this with previous shots. Is this normal? HELP!

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (13)

straydog

Forum Moderator

Joined : Feb 2003

Posts : 18950

Posted 6/26/2014 7:20 PM (GMT -7)

Sorry that you are struggling so. A lot of times those shots do make things worse for a few days and then the medication kicks in & the inflammation starts to improve. I had a shoulder injection before & do remember being miserable for a few days afterwards. If you have not tried it yet, make an ice pack & put that on your shoulder. I am thinking a heating pad could aggravate the inflammation & make it worse, this happens sometimes from using a heating pad. You can experiment & see which works the best for you. Good luck.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (14)

Abilene

Veteran Member

Joined : Apr 2014

Posts : 986

Posted 6/27/2014 10:31 AM (GMT -7)

I'm also sorry for your pain and hoping the medication kicks in quickly giving you relief. If not, the dr needs to hear about it.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (15)

anice1

Regular Member

Joined : May 2013

Posts : 86

(Video) Rotator Cuff Impingement & Tendonitis Part 2: Symptoms & Evaluation

Posted 6/27/2014 12:38 PM (GMT -7)

I really am sorry you are going through this. And I understand about injections giving little if any relief and if so, it's short lived. That tends to be how it has been with me personally. I certainly hope your pain level decreases soon. Try the ice pack if you haven't already done so. It is better for inflammation than heat. If you don't have one, look up the recipe online. You can make them very easily in a ziplock bag. And it turns out like a squishy gel instead of hard like some are. Hope the MRI will be done soon! Hang in there. I know it is very hard. But we all care and are here to help you with support.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (16)

Chotti

Veteran Member

Joined : Oct 2013

Posts : 606

Posted 6/27/2014 7:17 PM (GMT -7)

In my experience with injections in my rotator cuff it did not help.
No relief. After a few years of treatments that did not seem to help surgery did. Same thing in hips.

Actually injections I received I later found out were not FDA approved for anything other that back treatments. It's generally used off label for other areas. In my case the injections for shoulder pain, ... Injections typically include a mix of a corticosteroid, such as cortisone, and a local pain reliever.

Sometime the pain meds & injections that treat the pain can also exacerbate the pain and to further damage to the area.

I do have limited range in both shoulders at this time screws holding them in place & micro surgery to repair the torn ligaments and I am as good as expected . Better than I ever was with my shoulder popping out. My doc counseled me on how important it was to repair my shoulders before further damage & causing more complications from wear & tear.

Key call UR doc leave a message.. Also document everything in order to find a solution. Keep a journal on what makes the pain worse what mobility limitations exist and research surgery.

Healing prayers UR way...
{{Gentle Hugs }}

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (17)

skipper7151

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 6/27/2014 7:32 PM (GMT -7)

Well, of all pain, you could try self acupuncture.
Using your fingers to press around your ears, when you find a sore spot, keep pressing it. Initially it hurts, but a few minutes later, you will find the pain reduces. Keep pressing it until the pain disappears. You could do it when needed. Sometimes, by pulling the ears also help to alleviate the pain. I have done it myself for arthritis, headache, and neck pain. It also works on stiffness. Give it a try, and you will get amazing results!

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (18)

Chotti

Veteran Member

Joined : Oct 2013

Posts : 606

Posted 6/27/2014 7:40 PM (GMT -7)

Skipper hello and welcome to the forum.

Self acupressure is a great way to go. It helps take the edge off.

I use acu pressure for nerve & muscle pain along with anti inflammatories . The swelling in my experience is what causes my pain. Even Tylenol or Excredrin help with acupressure.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (19)

skipper7151

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 6/27/2014 9:53 PM (GMT -7)

Yes, the right word is SELF ACU PRESSURE!
Thank you, Chotti.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (20)

Mema sesond time around

New Member

Joined : Jul 2014

Posts : 11

Posted 7/4/2014 3:05 PM (GMT -7)

Sounds like it could be frozen shoulder (adhesive capulitus)..I am on my second one and in acute & chronic pain. Maybe you can read up on the internet about it.

(Video) Is Your Shoulder Pain Coming From Your Neck or Shoulder? How to Tell.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (21)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 7/9/2014 6:19 PM (GMT -7)

Shoulder has continued to decline. The extreme pain from the shot has diminished but it now hurts just as bad if not worse than what I was originally seen for. Have an MRI scheduled for 7/10 at 2:00pm and see the doctor at 4:50pm. I'm hoping for some answers tomorrow. A little concerned that it is without contrast, but hopefully that won't matter and he will see whatever is going on. I am a practice manager in a family medicine office and the 2 DO's I work with think it is a labrum tear. At this point, I just want to know why it brings me to tears to pull up my pants. :(

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (22)

Mema sesond time around

New Member

Joined : Jul 2014

Posts : 11

Posted 7/10/2014 9:02 AM (GMT -7)

If it is a frozen shoulder, everybody has a different pain level. I think I have 0 tolerance of pain. I sympathize with you as I have felt this herrific pain also. I hope it isn't frozen shoulder & whatever it is can be repaired

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (23)

keywest4me

New Member

Joined : Jun 2014

Posts : 7

Posted 7/10/2014 6:31 PM (GMT -7)

So here are the highlights of the MRI today:

Degenerative osteoarthropathy of the shoulder
Supraspinatus tendinopathy
Osteophytic spurring and joint space narrowing at ac joint
Subchondral osteophytes at the medial humoral head
Impingement on the upper surface fibers of the musculotendious junction by acromion process spurring

The doctor wants to continue anti inflammatory meds and pt for at least another month before discussing surgery. He said he does not want to do another cortisone shot so soon due to my age. He said the surgery would be a "clean up" but obviously would not remove the arthritis. So I am still at the wait and see stage.

Shoulder pain getting worse-X-rays normal (24)

straydog

Forum Moderator

Joined : Feb 2003

Posts : 18950

Posted 7/10/2014 6:47 PM (GMT -7)

I had impingement of the right shoulder, this was from a fall off of a motorcycle. I was able to avoid surgery with a lot of PT. I did the one injection only because considering the horrendous pain getting the injection & then the pain afterwards I told the dr no more that I was suffering enough. I hope that you are able to get past all of this without surgery. From time to time I have flareups but nothing like when it originally started.

Keep us posted on how you are getting along.

FAQs

What underlying conditions can cause shoulder pain? ›

Shoulder pain causes include:
  • Avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis) (death of bone tissue due to limited blood flow)
  • Brachial plexus injury.
  • Broken arm.
  • Broken collarbone.
  • Bursitis (joint inflammation)
  • Cervical radiculopathy.
  • Dislocated shoulder.
  • Frozen shoulder.

What happens when your pain doesn't show on X-ray or MRI? ›

The bottom line is that not all pain is able to be detected on an x-ray or MRI. That does not mean that there is nothing there that needs to be treated or diagnosed. In fact, it means that it is possibly a precursor to something going really wrong and then eventually needing surgery because it eventually winds up torn.

What shoulder problems show up on X-ray? ›

A shoulder X-ray uses radiation to take pictures of the bones and structures in your shoulder. Healthcare providers use a shoulder X-ray to diagnose conditions like broken bones, arthritis and dislocation. Shoulder X-rays are noninvasive and not painful.

Why do I have continuous pain in my shoulder? ›

Overuse or injury of nearby tendons, such as the bicep muscles of the arms. Nerve injury that leads to abnormal shoulder movement. Tears of the rotator cuff tendons. Poor shoulder posture and mechanics.

Can shoulder pain be a symptom of something else? ›

If you have shoulder pain, it's often caused by problems with your shoulder joint or with the muscles, ligaments, or tendons, around your shoulder. But sometimes the source of your pain can be your heart, belly, or something else. That's called referred shoulder pain.

What can cause severe shoulder pain without injury? ›

Shoulder Pain Without Injury: 5 Common Causes
  • Arthritis. There are numerous types of arthritis, but each one describes inflammation of at least one joint, such as the shoulder. ...
  • Bursitis. ...
  • Adhesive capsulitis. ...
  • Rotator cuff tears. ...
  • Spine or disc issues.

Does muscle pain show up on MRI? ›

An MRI will not show muscle strains or other problems with soft tissues. The pain usually will go away on its own, although it may take several months.

Does tendonitis show up on MRI? ›

Since MRI scans depend on the water or fluid content in the body tissue, you can see swelling and inflammation on these images. For instance, tendonitis will show up on an MR scan because there's usually fluid and swelling that goes along with it.

What is the best imaging for shoulder pain? ›

MRI with or without intra-articular contrast is the most accurate imaging modality for evaluating shoulder pathology allowing visualization of the soft tissues that are often the source of pain.

Does a torn rotator cuff hurt all the time? ›

Rotator cuff tendon tears often cause pain at night. The pain may even wake you. During the day, the pain is more tolerable, and usually only hurts with certain movements, such as overhead or reaching toward the back. Over time, the symptoms become much worse, and are not relieved by medicines, rest, or exercise.

What does a torn shoulder ligament feel like? ›

There may be a snapping sensation and immediate weakness in your upper arm. Tears that develop slowly due to overuse may also cause pain and arm weakness. You may have pain in the shoulder when you lift your arm, or pain that moves down your arm.

What are 2 warning signs of a rotator cuff tear? ›

Signs of a rotator cuff tear include:
  • Difficulty and pain caused by raising your arm.
  • Popping or clicking sounds or sensations when moving your arm.
  • Shoulder pain that worsens at night or when resting your arm.
  • Shoulder weakness and struggling to lift items.
28 Jan 2021

What does bursitis in the shoulder feel like? ›

In infected bursitis patients usually experience excessive warmth at the site of the inflamed bursa. They often complain of a great deal of tenderness, pain, and fever. The swelling and redness may spread away from the affected site and go up or down the arm.

What does it mean when my shoulder hurts when I lift my arm? ›

Shoulder impingement is a very common cause of shoulder pain, where a tendon (band of tissue) inside your shoulder rubs or catches on nearby tissue and bone as you lift your arm. It affects the rotator cuff tendon, which is the rubbery tissue that connects the muscles around your shoulder joint to the top of your arm.

What does arthritis in shoulder feel like? ›

Shoulder arthritis is inflammation in your shoulder joint. Over time, arthritis leads to cartilage loss. Symptoms include pain, stiffness, decreased range of motion and popping, clicking and grinding noises in your shoulder joint.

Can a blocked artery cause shoulder pain? ›

Plaque is a wax-like substance that prevents these arteries from sending oxygen-rich blood to the heart. Angina usually feels like pressure or squeezing in your chest. The NHLBI notes that you may also feel pain and discomfort in nearby areas, including: Shoulders.

When should I worry about shoulder pain? ›

Make an appointment with your doctor if your shoulder pain is accompanied by: Swelling. Redness. Tenderness and warmth around the joint.

What is the test for a torn rotator cuff? ›

The drop arm test is used to assess for full thickness rotator cuff tears, particularly of the supraspinatus. This can be useful when diagnosing sub-acromial pain syndrome (shoulder impingment) or to differentiate between shoulder and rotator cuff pathologies.

What does pain from rotator cuff feel like? ›

The pain associated with a rotator cuff injury may: Be described as a dull ache deep in the shoulder. Disturb sleep. Make it difficult to comb your hair or reach behind your back.

Where is shoulder bursitis pain felt? ›

Initially, the pain is located at the outside of the shoulder at the very top of the arm, but as symptoms progress, the pain may radiate down the outside of the arm (though rarely past the elbow). As the condition gets worse, a person may avoid using the shoulder, causing the muscles to weaken.

What test can detect a torn muscle? ›

The gold standard in diagnostic imaging of muscle injuries is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Radiologists need to be familiar with typical MRI findings in order to accurately detect and classify muscle injuries.

How do you know if pain is muscular or skeletal? ›

Bone pain usually feels deeper, sharper, and more intense than muscle pain. Muscle pain also feels more generalized throughout the body and tends to ease within a day or two, while bone pain is more focused and lasts longer. Bone pain is also less common than joint or muscle pain, and should always be taken seriously.

How can you tell a torn muscle? ›

Symptoms
  1. Pain or tenderness.
  2. Redness or bruising.
  3. Limited motion.
  4. Muscle spasms.
  5. Swelling.
  6. Muscle weakness.
1 Sept 2020

What happens if tendonitis doesn't get better? ›

When you leave your tendonitis untreated, the affected tendon can weaken and become more prone to tears and possible rupture. A ruptured tendon requires surgical repair and can cause permanent disability in severe cases. Repeated bouts of tendonitis can result in a buildup of scar tissue in the affected area.

How do I know if I have tendonitis or tendinosis? ›

The main difference between tendinosis and tendinitis is time. Tendinosis is a chronic (persistent or recurring) condition caused by repetitive trauma or an injury that hasn't healed. By contrast, tendinitis is an acute (sudden, short-term) condition in which inflammation is caused by a direct injury to a tendon.

Does tendonitis hurt at rest? ›

In most cases, the pain occurs when you're active and feels better when you rest. But as tendonitis goes untreated and worsens, you may also experience pain when resting.

How do I know if I need an MRI on my shoulder? ›

Pain or an injury are the main reasons your doctor might order an MRI scan. The injury could be the result of an impact, or simply the effect of long-term wear and tear on the joint. Specific problems that could require a shoulder MRI scan include: dislocation of your shoulder joint.

How is shoulder arthritis diagnosed? ›

To diagnose shoulder arthritis, your physician will perform a physical exam and ask you questions about your symptoms and medical history. The degree of arthritis and the amount of bone in the socket can be evaluated and confirmed with an X-ray or, if needed, with a CT scan.

What can an ultrasound show with a shoulder problem? ›

Within the past 10 to 20 years, shoulder ultrasound has emerged as a critical method for investigating and diagnosing shoulder pain. Ultrasound imaging can reveal with 100% sensitivity, a full thickness tear of the rotator cuff, and a partial tear with 90 percent sensitivity.

What percentage of rotator cuff tears require surgery? ›

When does a partial rotator cuff tear need surgery? It is very uncommon to operate on a partial rotator cuff tear. In cases of deep partial tears — when more than 90 percent of the tendon is torn — surgery is recommended only if the symptoms can't be controlled with nonsurgical treatments.

Where is pain located with torn rotator cuff? ›

Rotator cuff injuries often result in a dull ache that can be felt deep in the shoulder. It can occur due to specific movements, such as lifting or lowering the arm. Some people experience discomfort during rest as well. Sleeping is often disturbed by pain, especially when lying on the affected shoulder.

Will a cortisone shot help a torn rotator cuff? ›

Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can be injected into the shoulder area to help treat a variety of shoulder conditions, including tendinitis, bursitis, rotator cuff impingement or tear, frozen shoulder, and degenerative or inflammatory arthritis.

What are 3 common shoulder injuries? ›

Common Injuries of the Shoulder
  • Shoulder instability. Shoulder instability happens most often in young people and athletes. ...
  • Rotator cuff tear. The rotator cuff is a group of 4 muscles of the upper arm. ...
  • Frozen shoulder. This extreme stiffness in the shoulder can happen at any age. ...
  • Overuse/strains. ...
  • Arthritis.

How do I know if I tore a muscle in my shoulder? ›

Rotator cuff tears tend to cause some pretty recognizable symptoms, like:
  1. Pain when raising your arm above your head.
  2. Pain when lowering your arm from a raised position.
  3. Pain or weakness when lifting or rotating your arm at the shoulder.
  4. Problems when trying to lift an object over your head.

How can you tell the difference between a strained rotator cuff and a torn rotator cuff? ›

For starters, both have similar symptoms like pain, swelling, and stiffness. With a tear, the arm can barely move overhead. Tendinopathy tends to happen over months, even years, of overuse. Tears, however, are sharp pains that generally occur after a sports collision or accident.

Can I still move my arm with a rotator cuff tear? ›

Rotator cuff tears cause pain and weakness in the affected shoulder. In some cases, a rotator cuff may tear only partially. The shoulder may be painful, but you can still move the arm in a normal range of motion. In general, the larger the tear, the more weakness it causes.

Does rotator cuff pain radiate down the arm? ›

Rotator cuff disease: Pain can begin to radiate from your shoulder into the side of your upper arm. Torn rotator cuff: Shoulder pain may radiate down your arm to the area of the elbow. Dislocated shoulder: The pain from a dislocated shoulder can radiate down the upper arm.

How long does it take for a torn rotator cuff to heal without surgery? ›

Usually, mild rotator cuff tears or sprains will heal within four weeks. In other severe cases, the recovery might take 4 to 6 months or even longer based on several factors such as the severity of the tear, age, and other health complications.

Does bursitis show up on xray? ›

Imaging tests.

X-ray images can't positively establish the diagnosis of bursitis, but they can help to exclude other causes of your discomfort. Ultrasound or MRI might be used if your bursitis can't easily be diagnosed by a physical exam alone.

What does extreme shoulder pain mean? ›

The most common cause of shoulder pain occurs when rotator cuff tendons become trapped under the bony area in the shoulder. The tendons become inflamed or damaged. This condition is called rotator cuff tendinitis or bursitis. Shoulder pain may also be caused by: Arthritis in the shoulder joint.

When is surgery needed for shoulder bursitis? ›

Shoulder surgery is typically recommended when shoulder bursitis is chronic and related shoulder impingement. The type of surgery performed will depend on the patient's symptoms and the underlying cause of the shoulder pain. The inflamed bursa is removed in a procedure called a bursectomy.

Can shoulder pain be a symptom of something else? ›

How do I get my shoulder to stop hurting? ›

Treatment is aimed at relieving pain and preserving range of motion of the shoulder. Options include anti-inflammatory medications, corticosteroid injections, and physical therapy. If the pain is severe or persistent, your doctor may suggest surgery to remove the deposits. Adhesive capsulitis.

Can shoulder pain be related to heart problems? ›

There are a few different heart disease-related sources of shoulder pain. The condition most commonly associated is probably a heart attack, but other potential cardiac conditions can also trigger this pain.

What conditions affect shoulders? ›

Most shoulder problems fall into four major categories: Tendon inflammation (bursitis or tendinitis) or tendon tear. Instability. Arthritis.

Can right shoulder pain be heart related? ›

Unexplained shoulder and arm pain can sometimes be a warning sign of a heart attack, which is a medical emergency. People should see a doctor if they are concerned about pain in their right shoulder and arm or if the pain is not improving.

What does it mean when my shoulder hurts when I lift my arm? ›

How do I know if shoulder pain is heart related? ›

Sudden left shoulder pain can sometimes be a sign of a heart attack. Call 911 or your local emergency number if you have sudden pressure or crushing pain in your shoulder, especially if the pain runs from your chest to the left jaw, arm or neck, or occurs with shortness of breath, dizziness, or sweating.

Does a torn rotator cuff hurt all the time? ›

Is shoulder pain a symptom of cholesterol? ›

In the studies they analyzed, people with less healthy blood cholesterol levels were more likely in general to have tendon problems, and to have worse pain associated with arm and shoulder musculoskeletal injuries.

What is the most painful shoulder condition? ›

Frozen shoulder is one of the most painful shoulder conditions due to its persistence, long recovery and ever-growing pain. In early stages of development, pain is at its height, but slowly minimizes through each of its three phases.

What are 2 warning signs of a rotator cuff tear? ›

Signs of a rotator cuff tear include:
  • Difficulty and pain caused by raising your arm.
  • Popping or clicking sounds or sensations when moving your arm.
  • Shoulder pain that worsens at night or when resting your arm.
  • Shoulder weakness and struggling to lift items.
28 Jan 2021

When should I worry about shoulder pain? ›

Videos

1. How to know if your shoulder injury is serious
(Dr. David Geier)
2. Rhomboid Pain (Shoulder Blade Discomfort)
(E3 Rehab)
3. Self-Diagnose Shoulder Pain with these Tests
(Milton Chiropractic Clinic Cambridge)
4. Solving Shoulder Pain: Surgical and Non-Surgical Options
(UW Medicine)
5. Knee Arthritis- 5 Most Common Signs You Have It!
(Ortho EVAL Pal With Paul Marquis PT)
6. Referred Pain Around The Shoulder - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim
(nabil ebraheim)